ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Jackson" <foamd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposed roadmap
Date Sat, 30 Dec 2006 02:25:45 GMT
> * 1.7.x
>   - fix bugs
>   - implement some enhancement requests
>   - add some extra attributes to tasks/types
>       (for example fileset dir not present attribute)
>   - add some conditions/resources/filters/mappers
>   - junitize other optional tasks (i.e. allow
>     the needed thirdparty classes to be specified
>     when using the task)
>   - make checkstyle clean
>   - support more java5,6,7 features

- reduce size by splitting out optional tasks into antlibs
- use antunit for testing and deprecate old BuildFileTests where appropriate

> * 1.8
>   - add classpath manipulation (classloader task)
>   - add logic/controlflow features from jsp/ant-contrib (for, if,
> while, try, var etc)

not sure I agree with adding control flow as it's better to do such
things with a scripting language

>   - better scripting language support
>      - allow javascript and jruby to create tasks/types natively
>        (beanshell, groovy can do this currently).
>   - import improvements (url support, searchpath support)
>   - if/unless attributes with primative EL (expression language)
>        (ie if="${property.not.present}" will work as if="property.not.present")
>   - restricted types (i.e. roles)
>   - some simple build file generators (like seam-gen)

like the sound of this! something like 'ant webapp-gen' to create a
starting point for a java webapp - would we use Velocity or some other
tool or write everything in raw java?

>   - xmlize the manual goals:
>       - pdf version output

urk - this one has been in Bugzilla for a very very long time, use
docbook + fop (as I tried earlier), but people objected to docbook, so
again we need to pick a technology for this

>       - clean html output
>       - easy navigation
>
> * 1.9
>   - add EL (?from jsp/jsf - properties or references?)
>   - unify properties and references
>   - integration with ivy/maven for dependence
>   - ?annotations for tasks?

annotations might be nice, but now your limited to java5+

> * 2.0
>   - remove need of xml

and replace with? We could use an alternate form for defining the
tasks/targets etc, but what form would that take

>   - unify with maven
>   - unify with raven
>   - ant only runs on java5
>   - world peace