ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pack200
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:30:49 GMT
Mark Claassen wrote:
> PININ' for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did he
> fall flat on his back the moment I got 'im home?
> ...'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the
> curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!
> THIS IS AN EX-PROJECT!!
>
> I always appreciate a bit a levity.

well,lets just say I wouldnt expect a christmas card from it.

> ---
> So, the Harmony project will follow the specifications of the pack200
> format, but not necessarily the interface (options as so on)?  Not that you
> have any control over it, but that seems like a poor decision.  I hope it is
> similar enough so that people aren't forced into a decision about which to
> use, Harmony or Sun's JRE.  (That's is my 2 cents.)
>
> Anyway, to me it sounds like you are saying that ANT is currently not
> interested in a pack200 task until the Harmony project has decided on its
> implementation?  Is this a fair assessment of what you said?

no, its more 'we dont know what is happening there well enough to take a
guess".

If they do pack200 exe with 100% compatibility with sun-pack200, life is
simple.

If they do something low level, we are in the multiple-facade-pattern
which we do for javac and the like and which is unduly complex. the
other risk is that sun pull pack200 in java6 or later. Assuming that
they keep everything stable there, we can do a task, but we cannot use
any of the code from the java.net . Instead we need

-good dependency logic
-error messages for end users
-some tests.