ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pack200
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:02:52 GMT
Mark Claassen wrote:
> Well, be that as it may, I feel that having a pack200 task would be a great
> feature.  We distribute our code via webstart and the pack200 format really
> does do a great job compressing jar files.
>
> The code I got from java.net did not quite work for me and I had to modify
> it quite a bit.  I submitted my modifications back to the project where the
> originals from, but then it didn't go anywhere.  In fact, I can't even find
> the posts I sent with my modifications.  Maybe this is because the java.net
> project (https://java-pack200-ant-task.dev.java.net/) says its defunct.
>
> In any case, is there anything that I can do to get this ball rolling?  I
> don't want to step on any toes, or break any copyrights, but I certainly
> feel that the pack200 should be a part of core ANT.
>
> Mark

1. I checked, yes, the deployment.java.net project is, if not dead,
pining for the fjords.

2. Harmony is adding pack200 support too.

any apache ant task would want to work with the Harmony impl, alongside
the sun one, or we go with the harmony one only as a complete redist
that may even work on java1.4 systems. in which case the ant project
itself probably isnt the right place for it, as it is coupled more
tightly to the harmony API

-steve