ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Triage time
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 14:31:41 GMT

I'm looking at some outstanding issues with the RC and wondering whether
to pull them either temporarily or indefinitely. I'd like some opinions.

#1 automatic proxy setup on Java 1.5

This was meant to be a benefit, in which the JVM would pick up the proxy
settings of the OS unless you said -noproxy

But
  1. I have never seen it work on Linux, either with KDE or Gnome
desktops (suse and ubuntu)
  2. Some people have reported problems with oracle JDBC driver and
tigris SVN not working unless you go -noproxy

The problem here is that while trying to simplify a problem (proxy
setup), we've broken things that worked. And that forces us to take on
support calls/stops builds.

Proposal: pull the auto proxy unless you say -noproxy; add a -autoproxy
option to turn it on if you want it. Fix the documentation coverage to
match. Users who live behind silly firewalls (me) have to set up ANT_ENV
to get it to work.

#2 <war> and optional web.xml

I've had reports (and seen myself) cases of users getting warned their
web.xml isnt being used when updating a WAR file that exists. I think
its something to do with updates.

Proposal: move the new web.xml features (code+doc+tests) to the Ant1.7.1
Branch, to put in once we've had better testing.

I dont know if we have a 1.7.x branch but suspect this is the time to
create one.

-steve