ant-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Ant Wiki] Update of "Ant18/Planning" by peterreilly
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:26:55 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Ant Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by peterreilly:
http://wiki.apache.org/ant/Ant18/Planning

New page:
= Ant 1.8 Planning Section =

=== Projects we depend on and their forthcoming releases ===

 * Xerces. We redist this, so should get a late release.
 * Xalan
 * JUnit
 * Java 1.6.0 is out, 1.7 in early alpha only.

=== Projects that depend upon us, and their cutoff dates ===

 * Eclipse
 * Net``Beans
 * IntelliJ IDEA
 * Cruise``Control
 * JEdit (less tightly coupled)

= Features =
This is just an initial mixture of "nice to have", "controversial" and "necessary"
features.

They will get modified a lot during the 1.8 coding phase.

  * remove functionality depending on third party libraries that we
    cannot support or even build - for example starteam and weblogic tasks.

  * fix up the sql task.

  * add classpath manipulation (classloader task, coreloader etc)

  * add logic/controlflow features from jsp/ant-contrib (for, if,
    while, try, var etc)

  * better scripting language support
     * allow javascript and jruby to create tasks/types natively
      (beanshell, groovy can do this currently).

  * import improvements (url support, searchpath support)

  * if/unless attributes with primative EL (expression language)
      (ie if="${property.not.present}" will work as if="property.not.present")

  * restricted types (i.e. roles)

  * some simple build file generators (like seam-gen)

  * xmlize the manual goals:
     * pdf version output
     * clean html output
     * easy navigation

  * provide streaming xml support for logger and junit.

  * ? simple antlib downloads built-in ?

  * Local variables in macrodef. ant-contrib <var> gives you this, though we could make
it easier to mutate properties for them.

  * Make tests work for Java6 (rmic).

  * Java1.5 environment fetching. Ideally as part of a rework of Execute.getProcessEnv() (if
we plan to retrofit commons-exec in source after it stabilizes, maybe we should forego this
at present? -MJB)

== ''Want'' Features ==

Less critical, but still nice. Adding here is also a statement of intent.

 * <propertyfile> in java tasks for loading properties straight from a file.
 * reduce number of outstanding bugzilla ''bugs'' by fixing them or declaring WONTFIX/Invalid.
 * reduce number of outstanding bugzilla ''enhancements'' by implementing some, or closing
them off.
 * include fetch.xml in redist package and integrate w/ maven2 artifacts (done? -MJB)

=== ''Want'' Features Implemented ===

== ''Like'' Features ==

Less important stuff.

 * security hardening. "locking down...or giving the opportunity to lock down; e.g. secure
class loading, working with digital certs, etc..." Rated as 'like' because of the difficulty.
 * Look at all SCM tasks and pull in pending patches for new features. Find people to test
them. (I looked at VSS when implementing as antlib (svn sandbox), pulled in as many patches/fixes
as I could find in bugzilla - Kev)
 * Lightweight Java1.5 distro without Xerces.

== Testing ==

Platforms to test on. We may want to formally remove support for platforms that are unsupported
by their vendor. That means Java1.2 and Win98.

Linux Platforms should cover common distros: RHEL, Suse. Debian (Ubuntu)?. SysV Unix can be
delegated to the vendors, say AIX and HPUX. Solaris is also a possibility, if a VMware image
is available.

== MUST Pass ==

 * Java 1.3 - Java 6, WinXP, Linux, MacOS, SysV Unix
 * Java 6  Vista

Old JDKs can be downloaded from Suns [http://java.sun.com/products/archive/index.html archive]

== SHOULD Pass ==
 * Recent Java, Netware

=== MAY Pass ===

 * OpenVMS, Any Java

== WONTFIX this release ==

Definitely not in this release. Pull stuff down here when scrubbed from the previous lists.