ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@sun.com>
Subject Re: javax scripting for ant 1.7.0
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:50:02 GMT
Peter Reilly wrote:
> If the attribute is not specified a default path will be used - all
> the scriptapi's that ant known about. - bsf, jsr.

So why add the API attribute at all? Just do the right thing without
having to be told. Legacy scripts will expect to use BSF and they will
get it. New scripts wishing to use BSF can add it to the Ant classpath.
The behavior of a clean Ant installation in a clean JDK 6 installation
will be correct.

> the 1.7.0 behaviour would be to find the first script manager in the
> classpath and to use that one. Later versions of ant could check if a
> particular script manager supported a particular language and use the
> first that "reported" that it did.

Why not just make that enhancement now? Shouldn't be complicated, right?

> If asked for, future versions of ant could use custom defined script
> managers - using a JAR service specification - or an ant task.

The purpose of the JSR is to ensure that there is a standard for Java so
that no one will need to create a new script manager in the future, and
ideally that usage of BSF will monotonically decrease, so I hope Ant
would not need to change its behavior again.

-J.

--
jesse.glick@sun.com  x22801  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org
       http://google.com/search?q=e%5E%28pi*i%29%2B1