ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: javax scripting for ant 1.7.0
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 16:12:32 GMT
> Jesse Glick wrote:
> > Peter Reilly wrote:
> >> If the attribute is not specified a default path will be used - all
> >> the scriptapi's that ant known about. - bsf, jsr.
> >
> > So why add the API attribute at all? Just do the right thing without
> > having to be told. Legacy scripts will expect to use BSF and they will
> > get it. New scripts wishing to use BSF can add it to the Ant classpath.
> > The behavior of a clean Ant installation in a clean JDK 6 installation
> > will be correct.
>

> So if I have java6 then there's no way to get the javax stuff is bsf is
> on the classpath. Dubious. i'd need some way of selecting an engine

exactly.
One may want to use the bsf javascript - it can use a more up-to-date
version of rhino that that in the used by javax.
The same ant build may want to use the javax javascript.

> engine=bsf : bsf is mandatory
> engine=javax: javax is mandatory
> engine=auto :javax if found, fallback to bsf on older systems.  (default)

This is my current thinking (except)

auto: bsf if found in the classpath, otherwise fallback to javax. (default)
  the reason is that the user will have configured up bsf,
  and every thing works, then update to java6 and the
  script tasks stop working.

> This may be a 1.7.1 level change, if its done with a new attribute and
> not a new language string.

Maybe, but I would still like it for 1.7.0.

> This gives us a chance to look at other
> aspects of scripting, to make it more useful.
>   -better fault handing
>   -better default values
>   -ways of passing params to <scriptcondition> conditions (and for reuse)

These could be added in incrementally in the 1.7.* series.
One thing that is needed is evaluation support;
   something like:

  <property name="path" language="beanshell" eval='System.getenv("path")'/>

> PS, script performance tests from the netkernel team:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/jruby-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg01110.html
>
> conclusion: use jython if you want speed.

Mmmm ...
jython has its own problems....

Peter