ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: .ant/lib at project level
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2006 15:33:18 GMT
> Peter Reilly wrote:
>  > I have been setting up a new project here and
>  > had been wondering how to allow antunit and ant-contrib
>  > to be added without too much messing around.
>  > I do not want to get the developers to place the antlibs
>  > in ~/.ant/lib or $ANT_HOME/lib, - different projects
>  > will use different antlibs and I do not want to
>  > pollute the project class paths with unneeded jars.
>  > Work arounds of using <typedef> in the build file is possible
>  > but ikky.
>  >
>  > I then had a brainwave, why not have a .ant/lib directory
>  > in the project directory (defined as the directory
>  > that contains the build file).
>  >
>  > This would act in the same way as ~/.ant/lib, any
>  > jar files in this directory will be added to the Project
>  > classpath by Launcher.  This would allow antlibs
>  > to be added to a project (via source code control) without configuration,
>  > it would also allow ant's optional tasks to be using with modifing
>  > ~/.ant/lib or $ANT_HOME/lib (or using the -lib command
>  > line option).
>
> I can see the appeal of this, but I have a concern.
>
> Right now the workstation to my right is doing an ivy-manged build of
> three different codebases, from different CVS/SVN repositories, using
> the <buildlist > task to create an ordered list of all projects that
> declare interdependencies in their ivy files.
>
> In a world like that, whose .ant/lib files get picked up? the first?

The .ant/lib would be the master build file's directory - since
this is the one that used by oata.launch.Launcher from ant.bat/ant sh file

In your case, I do not know that ivy/buildlist does to call
the multiple projects build files,
I assume that the <ant> task will be used, in this
case the .ant/lib directories of the controlled projects
will be ignored.

Peter