ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: javax scripting for ant 1.7.0
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:14:31 GMT
Jesse Glick wrote:
> Peter Reilly wrote:
>> If the attribute is not specified a default path will be used - all
>> the scriptapi's that ant known about. - bsf, jsr.
>
> So why add the API attribute at all? Just do the right thing without
> having to be told. Legacy scripts will expect to use BSF and they will
> get it. New scripts wishing to use BSF can add it to the Ant classpath.
> The behavior of a clean Ant installation in a clean JDK 6 installation
> will be correct.

So if I have java6 then there's no way to get the javax stuff is bsf is
on the classpath. Dubious. i'd need some way of selecting an engine

engine=bsf : bsf is mandatory
engine=javax: javax is mandatory
engine=auto :javax if found, fallback to bsf on older systems.  (default)

This may be a 1.7.1 level change, if its done with a new attribute and
not a new language string.  This gives us a chance to look at other
aspects of scripting, to make it more useful.
  -better fault handing
  -better default values
  -ways of passing params to <scriptcondition> conditions (and for reuse)

PS, script performance tests from the netkernel team:
http://www.mail-archive.com/jruby-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg01110.html

conclusion: use jython if you want speed.