ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: javax scripting for ant 1.7.0
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:42:34 GMT
Peter Reilly wrote:
> As java6 will be released shortly (I think in december)
> it would be nice to allow ant to use javax.scripting
> for a script engine. I would allow oob (out of the box)
> usage of a scripting language with ant on java6 and
> allow scripting with languages that only have javax.scripting
> engines (F3 for example - I think).
>
> I had proposed before to use the convention
> language="jsr:javascript" to denote the jaxax.scripting
> engine, and language="bsf:javascript" to denote the
> bsf engine with language="javascript" to denote seaching
> for the first implementation.

+1 for having this option and implementing it in 1.7.0, so that all
1.7.0 runtimes support the bsf:javascript syntax

If we stick it in in a 1.7.x release it will only cause confusion and
incompatibilities of build files.

> I would like to propose to have an initial implemenation
> with language="javascript" just using the bsf engine.
> and "jsr:javascript" to denote the javax.script.

+1 to having all existing bsf stuff supported under bsf:

0 towards javax.scripting support in 1.7.0