ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: .ant/lib at project level
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:36:58 GMT
Peter Reilly wrote:
 > I have been setting up a new project here and
 > had been wondering how to allow antunit and ant-contrib
 > to be added without too much messing around.
 > I do not want to get the developers to place the antlibs
 > in ~/.ant/lib or $ANT_HOME/lib, - different projects
 > will use different antlibs and I do not want to
 > pollute the project class paths with unneeded jars.
 > Work arounds of using <typedef> in the build file is possible
 > but ikky.
 >
 > I then had a brainwave, why not have a .ant/lib directory
 > in the project directory (defined as the directory
 > that contains the build file).
 >
 > This would act in the same way as ~/.ant/lib, any
 > jar files in this directory will be added to the Project
 > classpath by Launcher.  This would allow antlibs
 > to be added to a project (via source code control) without configuration,
 > it would also allow ant's optional tasks to be using with modifing
 > ~/.ant/lib or $ANT_HOME/lib (or using the -lib command
 > line option).

I can see the appeal of this, but I have a concern.

Right now the workstation to my right is doing an ivy-manged build of
three different codebases, from different CVS/SVN repositories, using
the <buildlist > task to create an ordered list of all projects that
declare interdependencies in their ivy files.

In a world like that, whose .ant/lib files get picked up? the first?
all? If I exit a project, does its stuff get undeclared?