ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: javax scripting for ant 1.7.0
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 13:46:41 GMT
On 11/27/06, Peter Reilly <peter.kitt.reilly@gmail.com> wrote:
> As java6 will be released shortly (I think in december)
> it would be nice to allow ant to use javax.scripting
> for a script engine. I would allow oob (out of the box)
> usage of a scripting language with ant on java6 and
> allow scripting with languages that only have javax.scripting
> engines (F3 for example - I think).

+1 to oob.

> I had proposed before to use the convention
> language="jsr:javascript" to denote the jaxax.scripting
> engine, and language="bsf:javascript" to denote the
> bsf engine with language="javascript" to denote seaching
> for the first implementation.

I'd prefer we make it more explicit. Using a prefix is shorter of
course, but I don't feel confortable using an XML namespace
like notation without the need for an XML namespace.

Couldn't we use an explicit 'engine' or 'scriptapi' new attribute,
that would default to bsf, but would accept jsr (or jdk1.6) in a
future release? Or even an engine "path", like "bsf, jsr" to
specify a given search order?

> The changes are very small the the current scripting classes.

Hopefully what I propose above doesn't make it too complex. --DD