ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bug 32897
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:07:12 GMT
> >I'm not following. Is such a file automatically loaded? Or are
> >you saying to auto-load these properties from the CLI? Can
> >that specify the logger and listerners to use? --DD
>
> The "problem" with the current build.properties is, that it's loaded
> from within the buildfile
> and you cant add additional listeners (or am I wrong here?).

I don't think you are, and it's indeed problematic.

> So instead of typing
>     ant -listener org.apache.tools.ant.listener.Log4jListener
> you could just type
>     ant
> and having a ant.logger.properties with
>     logger=org.apache.tools.ant.listener.Log4jListener
>     log4j.rootLogger=ERROR, LogFile
>     log4j.logger.org.apache.tools.ant.Project=INFO
>     [... http://ant.apache.org/manual/listeners.html#Log4jListener ]
>
> The Launcher which will automatically load these settings and adds the
> logger/listeners as it would be configured on commandline.

OK, sounds like you are proposing to do this. I wasn't sure earlier
whether you referred to existing behavior I had missed, or new
proposed behavior. An alternative to auto-magically loading a
properties file might be to add support for the usual @file syntax on
the CLI, where long command line args with lots of properties can be
easily added. This keeps it explicit, and there are still the existing
env. vars. mechanism to automate the specification of @file if one
wants. What do you think? --DD