ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ideas on support of javax.script'ing
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:30:48 GMT
On 10/27/06, Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/27/06, Peter Reilly <peter.kitt.reilly@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been thinking on how to support javax.script in future
> > versions of ant.
> >
> > Initially, I though of using a new task <scriptx> or something
> > similar, but have reconsidered and now think that the same
> > tasks (<script>, <scriptdef> and types <scriptmapper> etc) can
> > be used.
> >
> > The idea is that ant-core code would first check for the language
> > implementation in bsf and if that (the language or bsf) does not
> > exist, ant-core will then check for javax.script support for the language.
> >
> > This would mean that using jdk6, ant would support javascript
> > out-of-the-box, but users would be able to use non-cut-down
> > versions of rhino by installing bsf and rhino, either in -lib places
> > ($ANT_HOME/lib, ${user.dir}/.ant/lib) or by using the
> > <classpath> element of <script>.
>
> This sounds like a reasonable scheme Peter. Although I think I'd also
> want to be able to force the use of scripting engine thru the JDK, if
> that's technically possible.

Everything is technically possible ;-)

I was thinking of using language="bsh:javascript" or "jsr:javascript"
to allow the
user to force one or the other, however, having bsf.jar and js.jar in
the $ANT_HOME/lib, is a user's choice, so if they are there it is
a good assumption that the user wants to use them.

Peter