ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Reilly" <peter.kitt.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HelpStudioAnt (was: "AW: failure notice")
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:20:59 GMT
Just to add a few comments:

On 10/24/06, Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de <Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de> wrote:
> oh yes - we prefer new threads instead of thread-hijacking ;-)
>
> Jan

Look at other task libraries as well, ant-contrib,  xmltask
ant-unit, and the ant code.

> >>2)
> >>Can anybody tell me down to which ant version my task is compatible?
> >>How could I easily find out?
> >
> >testing ...
> >Could be compatible with Ant 1.5. But you have to test.
> >I would not spend time on compatibility tests <1.5 and maybe not <1.6.
> >Because we are in front of 1.7, compatibility with 1.6 (2003
> >[8]) should be enough.
> >

> >>3)
> >>One remaining problem is that command line arguments are
> >automatically
> >>escaped via " if they contain spaces. Now it is possible that a to be
> >>compiled booklet has a space in it so the appropriate command line
> >>would look like this:
> >>   helpstudio2.exe /bk="just a test" projectfile.hsp Unfortunately,
> >>when I pass the option as /bk=just a test it gets converted to
> >>"/bk=just a test" or /bk="just a test" gets converted to '/bk="just a
> >>test"' and HelpStudio doesn´t recognize these.
> >
> >Who is escaping? Or is it just inside the debug log?

Hello to the wacky world of command line args in windows.
There are four levels of processing.
1) WIN32:CreateProcess this take in one string as a command line and
   splits into an executable and a list of command line arguments. - so
   it needs to handle " and ' to allow directories with spaces to be seen
   as one arg.
2)  java.lang.ProcessImpl this "normalizes" an array of arguments into
    a single string, if an argument contains a space, the argument is
quoted with
    a " (unless it is already "quoted").
3) org.apache.tools.ant.types.CommandLine.quoteArgument() - this is only
    called on <arg line="a b c"/>, I think
4) the executable itself (or the C wrapper - in cygwin land).

> >>4)
> >>Patching
> >>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/trunk/xdocs/external.xml for
> >>the "External Tools and Tasks" page: I´m using Eclipse
> >>3.1 on Windows.
> >>I know that I can create a patch to a file that is under
> >>versioncontrol. Is there an easy way to create a patch besides
> >>configuring the svn repository in Eclipse?
> >
> >You could also create the xml snippet ...
> >

> >>5)
> >>Most of the variables are declared as protected because this is what
> >>I´ve seen in nsisant. Is this preferred over private variables?
> >
> >Not sure about an Ant philosophy here, but protected variables
> >support subclassing ...

Mmm, Ant "philosophy" is to have *ALL* variables as private.

> >>6)
> >>btw: Though using the GPL or any other opensource license, why do
> >>people state a copyright in the source files? Shouldn´t this
> >mean that
> >>only this person is allowed to copy the code?
> >>(I now just adopted this)
> >
> >AFAIK this is your code. You are the holder. You decide, who
> >could use the code in which way. The GPL (nor any other
> >OSS-license) does not change that.
Ant uses the apache licence, this means that anyone can
use the software in whatever manner they want.