ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: AbstractFileSet optimization
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:37:11 GMT
No, it's more about institutional inertia.

For WAS, once you consider programmers, architects, testers, documentation
writers, managers, the build team, project management, L3 support & anyone
else who needs access to our change management or source control (because
CMVC integrates both) you're talking about a lot of people; probably well
over a 1000 for everyone who needs access for one reason or another.
Moving to *anything* else would require a tremendous amount of training,
effort & expense, not to mention the impact to schedules for a product
that *never* gets any downtime.

The support angle is one that is particularly easy to overlook. It's not
like WAS is an open-source project that has the luxury of saying "sorry,
we don't support old versions; try our latest nightly build to see if it
fixes your problem"; our customers with multi-million dollar support
contracts would probably take exception to that :-) The question then
becomes "Do we migrate old releases to the new system?" If not, then a
significant portion of the collective team needs to retain skills for the
old systems, and we have to continue to pay to maintain those old systems.
If you do migrate old releases to the new system you need to do so in a
way that does not interrupt the delivery of critical fixes or even
regularly scheduled maintenance to customers.

Platform support is another killer for us; we need clients on all kinds of
exotic operating system/processor architecture combinations. Can you get a
ClearCase client for Solaris on Opteron or HPUX on Itanium? What about a
Subversion client for zOS or i5OS? Most projects don't have to worry about
such things, but we do :-)

Throw in the fun we have with satisfying auditors for US FDA &
CommonCriteria requirements and you can start to see why we're reluctant
to move off of a known system, even if the grass looks greener on the
other side. As a student & as a regular developer I never had an
appreciation for these kinds of issues but I do now.

Jeffrey E. (Jeff) Care
carej@us.ibm.com
IBM WebSphere Application Server Development
WAS 7.0 Lead Release Engineer

Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org>
10/19/2006 06:43 AM
Please respond to
"Ant Developers List" <dev@ant.apache.org>

Ant Developers List <dev@ant.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: AbstractFileSet optimization

Jeffrey E Care wrote:
> Actually, WAS doesn't use ClearCase; we're still on IBM CMVC.

what, you're not scared of it, are you :)

-steve