ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FW: antunit branch for 1.6.x compatibility
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:31:14 GMT
Vladimir Egorov wrote:

> [...]

We use RMI internally, but yes, we do want a wire protocol that is
better long haul. One thing I'm thinking of for results is to publish
stuff as Atom, but maybe also add a RESTy way of running Tests. I'd back
this up with a servlet that could be deployed inside a web app/EAR, to
do cactus-style running of tests inside an app server. I think cactus is
wonderful, but dont see why you need to instantiate every test class
inside the client-side machine, except for compatibility with legacy
test runners.

>> Uniformity of both the java format and the xml output would be very
>> beneficial, and putting the stuff into antunit and <junit> and
> <junit4>
>> is part of my goal.
>
> We are trying to with existing frameworks with minimum modifications.
> For example, we support <junit> by adding a custom nested <formatter>
> (listener) that knows how to talk to us.

I was looking at tweaking that myself, but its complex because forked
junit instantiates the listener in the remote process, where its hard to
configure. With a cross-process run (in which the forked test run feeds
results as serialized data or XML) you dont need that; the custom
listener can live in ant's process.

If we come up with a new XML format, I'd just patch it in to <junit>,
<antunit> and presumably, the junit4 task as and when I sit down to
write it.

-steve