ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r465013 - in /ant/core/trunk: WHATSNEW src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/ src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/ src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/util/
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:42:34 GMT wrote:
> Author: stevel
> Date: Tue Oct 17 12:28:20 2006
> New Revision: 465013
> Log:
> Having learned about how the java memory model really works, I have had a quick code
review of the threading here.
> 1. stuff that is shared read is always marked volatile, to avoid being compiled out.
> 2. added more synchronization when appropriate.
> I make no claims as to thread safety here, as I was never that good at formal proofs
of correctness.

For people wondering about these changes, go read this paper:

I've had to do an emergency thread audit of all my project's threading
code, and now I think it is more robust, but only on java1.5+ where the
ordering of reads of volatile data guaranteed.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message