ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r465013 - in /ant/core/trunk: WHATSNEW src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/ExecuteJava.java src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/ExecuteWatchdog.java src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/util/Watchdog.java
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:42:34 GMT
stevel@apache.org wrote:
> Author: stevel
> Date: Tue Oct 17 12:28:20 2006
> New Revision: 465013

> Log:
> Having learned about how the java memory model really works, I have had a quick code
review of the threading here.

> 1. stuff that is shared read is always marked volatile, to avoid being compiled out.
>
> 2. added more synchronization when appropriate.
>
> I make no claims as to thread safety here, as I was never that good at formal proofs
of correctness.

For people wondering about these changes, go read this paper:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/jmanson/java/journal.pdf

I've had to do an emergency thread audit of all my project's threading
code, and now I think it is more robust, but only on java1.5+ where the
ordering of reads of volatile data guaranteed.

-steve