ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: references: backwards compatibility
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:40:41 GMT
Peter Reilly wrote:
> On 10/16/06, Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > WARNING: reference y has not been set, attempting to resolve
>> >
>> >     [echo] y is C:\Documents and
>> Settings\reilly\learning\a\refs\build.xml
>>
>> I really think we should break BC here, with a good error message.
>> Keeping the old behavior would re-open the bug about the
>> not-defined-at-runtime ref being used. The fact that there would now
>> be a warning is not enough IMHO.
>>
>> For a first pass, I propose an error message along the lines of:
>>
>> Error: Reference y has not been set at runtime, but was found during
>> build file parsing. Ant 1.7 no longer allows referencing ids defined
>> in non-executed targets.
>
> This could be done,
> what do other people think?

My biggest concern is how to ensure that ant1.7 builds build files that
other people wrote. I dont want to have to edit random build.xml files
created by third party projects I download and build, just because they
(like me) got lazy. The fact that Ant has had a bad but stable way of
declaring references mean that we need to think of how best to move
people of it.

I would  make it a non-failing warning for ant1.7, maybe an error in 1.8.