ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ant-1.7.0_beta2: ant.jar depends on ant-nodeps.jar due to WeakishReference
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 12:17:39 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:
> Vlastimil Babka wrote:
>>
>> It happens because WeakishReference.java imports
>> optional/WeakishReference12.java. Shouldn't be problem as long as you
>> use both jars together, but in Gentoo we are packaging them separately,
>> so it can be a problem (in case somebody still uses WeakishReference :)
>
> Maybe we can kill WeakishReference it was only there to let Java1.2 hang
> on to stuff weakly and yet still have code that worked on Java1.1. That
> is no longer a requirement...

I am of course wrong

1. oata.util.WeakishReference is in Core, since Ant1.6. There's a
HardReference as a nested class.

2. oata.optional.WeakReference12 extends WeakishReference s the Ant1.2+
implementation.

In the past, the factory in WeakishReference would defer to
WeakReference12 in ant1.2+, using reflection. Right now, in SVN, its
hard coded in, leading to Vlastimil's problem.

Here's what I propose.

1. Move all the functionality of WeakishReference12 into WeakishReference.

2. Leave WeakishReference12 in place as a (deprecated) facade.

3. Turn WeakishReference.HardReference into a (deprecated) Facade.

this eliminatest the cross package functionality by moving what we need
into the core (and creating nothing new) there. All references become
weak, which was the original goal.

The alternative would be to delete the lot of them.

-Steve