ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: echo task documentation error
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:58:10 GMT
> > empty. If foo is empty by mistake, how will one troubleshoot this?
> and not a blank line.  Undefined properties are echoed as literal text, not skipped.

I'm well aware of that ;-) That's why I wrote "empty", not "not
defined". As in empty string vs null string.

The proper way to output a line separator is by using
<echo>${line.separator}</echo>. That this doesn't work in Maven is a
bug for Maven, not a "feature" of Ant.

AFAIK, *any* task output is prefixed by the task's name. A line
separator is output in my book ;-) I fail to see why it would be good
to make an exception for <echo/> somehow.

Go ahead and fix the "doc" bug if you want. Strictly speaking this is
in keeping with BC; but this is yet another one of these little quirks
Ant is full of. --DD