ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: references: backwards compatibility
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:57:11 GMT
> Ok, I will get my id reference stuff ready.
> I do not think that we need a commandline arg or a property, the
> only thing that is needed is a warning like DD's
>
> Warning: Reference y has not been set at runtime, but was found during
> build file parsing, attempting to resolve. Future versions of Ant may support
> referencing ids defined in non-executed targets.

I'm confused... Are you saying we'll leave the loophole of accessing
refs from non-executed targets, and just print a warning?

Ant should fail by default in this situation. If someone wants to run
in full BC mode, perpetuating the old broken ref handling, they *must*
explicitly say so to Ant, and it should not be the default mode. Since
Steve says he doesn't want to fix these other builds, then it has to
be something specified out the build, use a CLI switch or the setting
of a user property as proposed by Stefan.

BC is important to me, but when keeping BC means breaking my least
surprises motto, then BC is not my friend any more ;-) --DD