ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: references: backwards compatibility
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:21:47 GMT
> I think some kind of property ant.policy.references.inline or something
> could be set to turn on old behaviour

We've somehow never done it, but maybe we should have a version
attribute on <project>, and increment it whenever we introduce a BC
breaking change?

I'm not sure it's practical to provide both the old and new behavior
when Ant changes some fundametal. Imagine having to support 1.5-style
mix of parse-time and run-time element processing, instead of all UE a
la 1.6?

Something that we could do maybe in this case is gather at parse-time
a list of all ids, and on using an unknown id, consult this list, and
if finding a match, issue a more informative error message? Not great,
but keeping the old and new behavior, especially when the old one was
wrong, I'm not a bug fan of. --DD