ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <>
Subject Re: ant.file.{projectname} property
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 19:58:53 GMT
--- Dominique Devienne <> wrote:

> > > Not quite. [...]
> > I still don't see how this conflicts with my
> > earlier statement.
> Where I disagree is that you assume the imported
> build writer is the
> same as the importer build writer (the user or
> client in other words).
> As a client, I shouldn't have to care whether the
> project is named or
> not, and be able to manipulate and reference the
> build I import on my
> terms, not his terms.

Point.  However, in such a case it would not make
sense for the provider of the imported file not to use
a project name.  Was there a reason not to support
"as"?  It sounds like a trivial change.  If we
supported "as", we could bypass storing project-name
stuff for <import> unless "as" is specified, printing
a warning as well.  Then we change the documentation
to recommend the use of the "as" attribute, with your
explanation as to why it is preferable.

> This is why it's still so difficult to write truly
> generic build
> files, despite <import>. Not enough
> compartimentalization, and mixing
> of concerns. --DD