ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Jackson" <foamd...@gmail.com>
Subject suggestion : Ant 1.8 full dist to include a 'scripting lang'
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 01:52:19 GMT
Hi all,

Coming in too work today I was thinking about how although scriptdef
is a very handy way of quickly specifying tasks without having to
compile code, and how it can be used within an antlib, but that no-one
at apachecon asia had used it.

The reasons they gave was:
1 - didn't know about it
2 - normal tasks did what they wanted (or they used maven when they didn't)
3 - no script jars provided so it was a hassle

Personally I think we should at least consider including a 'script'
language with the full dist (starting from 1.8) so that scriptdef
isn't a lame duck out of the box.

I also think that a lot of the code in the current optional tasks
could be re-written using scriptdefs instead and provided as an
antlib.  This would keep the core in Java, but move the more 'scripty'
style of tasks into a more appropriate tool/lang

Examples of tasks that could be more easily written in lang X instead of Java:
- EchoProperties
- Cab
- Rpm
- Most of the source control systems (ccm, svn, vss etc)

I know it's bad form to suggest re-writes of working code, but in
certain cases I think that the amount of code will be reduced, which
in turn should ease maintenance.

Downsides are of course that the implementation language of Ant
changes (core in Java, some optional tasks implemented as scriptdefs +
a. n. other language).

Anyway, please post flames in 3..2..1

;)
Kev