ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Location in non-Task tasks
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2006 20:03:16 GMT
Hi,

I just added the feature to print the line number an error occured on
in AntUnit's plainlistener.

I must admit that my error messages are sometimes not chosen well
enough so having the line number to know which assertion in a longer
testcase failed helps me a lot in J/NUnit.  I wanted to provide the
same functionality to AntUnit.

Unfortunately AssertTask extends ConditionBase and thus gets wrapped
in a TaskAdapter.  This means it doesn't know where it is (inside of
the build file) and cannnot add the information to the exception it
throws.

I'd like to do the following:

(1) push the Location handling from Task down to ProjectComponent

(2) Modify TaskAdapter to reflect Location into the wrapped task much
like it reflects the Project instance into it right now.

Does anybody object here?  An alternative to (1) would be to copy the
logic from Task to ConditionBase.

(3) I'd like to take advantage of these changes in AssertTask.

The later would either mean

* AntUnit 1.0beta1 had to wait until after Ant 1.7.0beta2 (or RC1 or
  whatever) was released

or

* we'd release AntUnit 1.0beta1 without my change (3) and modify
  AssertTask once a matching Ant release was out.

What do you think?

Stefan