ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: suggestion : Ant 1.8 full dist to include a 'scripting lang'
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 04:09:00 GMT
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Kevin Jackson <foamdino@gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally I think we should at least consider including a 'script'
> language with the full dist (starting from 1.8) so that scriptdef
> isn't a lame duck out of the box.

Biggest problem might be that the language needs to be license
compatible.

> I also think that a lot of the code in the current optional tasks
> could be re-written using scriptdefs instead and provided as an
> antlib.  This would keep the core in Java, but move the more
> 'scripty' style of tasks into a more appropriate tool/lang

I'm not convinced that script languages are more appropriate 8-)

> Downsides are of course that the implementation language of Ant
> changes (core in Java, some optional tasks implemented as scriptdefs
> + a. n. other language).
>
> Anyway, please post flames in 3..2..1

Not a flame.  Even though I personally don't like the idea of
replacing existing tasks, I wouldn't stand in the way.

But an observation.  Gump used to be written in Java and XSLT.  It was
re-written in Python because Python seemed to be more appropriate and
Gump might attract developers from the non-Java parts of the ASF.  The
result today is that the number of active developers has dropped from
about two to about zero.

If we chose a "standard" scripting language for Ant, it means the Ant
developer community must feel comfortable with it.  Comfortable enough
to be able to maintain and review the code.

Stefan