ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: antunit integration
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 04:38:09 GMT
On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@gmail.com> wrote:

> Although I'm curious to know how this chicken-and-egg thing is
> resolved in Gump.

We build a minimal Ant without running the tests, then we build JUnit
with that version of Ant, then we build Ant again.  To make things
more difficult we the go ahead and build more stuff with that version
of Ant and then build Ant again ;-)

bootstrap-ant -> junit, ORO, Xalan -> ant -> BSF, Tomcat 4 -> dist-ant

So bootstrap-ant only contains a minimal Ant, ant contains the <junit>
and <xslt> tasks as well as ORO based regexp mappers and dist-ant
contains most optional tasks.

> Are is that where svn:external comes into play, and AntUnit is
> compiled with Ant, joining them at the hip, to avoid the issue
> completely?

No, we'd build AntUnit against "ant" in the above chain.  Running
Ant's tests is a different "project" alltogether and runs against the
version of Ant built during dist-ant.  It could easily depend on
AntUnit in addition.

Stefan