ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Resource.getURL() WAS Re: svn commit: r447990 - in /ant/core/trunk/src: etc/testcases/taskdefs/style/build.xml main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/XSLTProcess.java main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/junit/AggregateTransformer.java
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:10:00 GMT
On 9/20/06, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have been thinking it might make sense to add
> getURL() to Resource.  Did a discussion on that
> already take place?  I don't remember if it was
> generally thought to be a good idea...
>
> And, for example, what would we do for resources of
> nonstandard "protocols"?  Would a StringResource with
> value "foo" return "string:foo" as its URL?  Should we
> install custom protocol handlers for built-in
> resources and encourage the same be done for
> third-party resource implementations?
>
> Actually this sounds like a good idea to me.  Because
> it seems to touch on the discussion we had before
> about a string "encoding" to allow a Resource to be
> specified as an attribute.  We talked about whether a
> "type:stringconstructorarg" scheme would work... but
> if IH knew that setFoo(Resource r) meant to treat the
> attribute string as a URL and we had custom protocol
> handlers installed for the built-in Resource types,
> that would be just as good, if not better (I'm not
> forgetting we would have to special-case protocol-less
> strings to be interpreted as files for BC).

I have no opinion about adding getURL () to Resource, but I think that
adding an easy way to encode/decode a resource to a string is really a must!
And using a "type:" scheme is not really convenient IMHO. So using custom
URL scheme sounds like a very good idea!

-Xavier

This sounds pretty involved.  We could go ahead and