ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Resource.getURL()
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:08:48 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> --- Antoine Levy-Lambert <antoine@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Matt,
>>>
>>> thanks for fixing my fixes !
>>>
>>> did you already add getURL() to all Resource(s) ?
>>> this would be cool to be able to always set the
>>> SystemId in case of XML documents of all sorts.
>> I have been thinking it might make sense to add
>> getURL() to Resource.  Did a discussion on that
>> already take place?
>
> I don't remember any.
>
> Given that Resource as a class and not an interface we are able to add
> new methods even after 1.7.0 without running the risk of breaking the
> code of people who implement their own resources.  Given that there
> wouldn't be any code in Ant 1.7.0 that used getURL() we should defer
> adding the method as well, IMHO.

maybe, but if a subclass adds its own getURL() method bad things happen.
Also, if subclasses ought to override it, then we dont give ant1.7-based
resources a warking.

>> And, for example, what would we do for resources of
>> nonstandard "protocols"?  Would a StringResource with
>> value "foo" return "string:foo" as its URL?  Should we
>> install custom protocol handlers for built-in
>> resources and encourage the same be done for
>> third-party resource implementations?
>
> +1 for custom protocol handlers.

Its very hard to add custom protocol handlers in java once you have a
classloader tree. and you increase the effort needed to implement a
resource.

How about having a hasURL interface that resources can implement? That
way things like my <random> component dont need to bother.?