ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding InpustStream as build file source
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 13:02:05 GMT
Giovanni Cuccu - CUP2000 wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I'm developing an application and I'm planning to use ant inside my
> Java programs to execute generic tasks and projects (the code calling
> Ant is taken from
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0502_gawor/0502_gawor.html).

> The requirements specify that the build file is provided via tcp/ip
> connection and can be viewed as a InputStream.
> My approach to solve this problem has been to modify ProjectHelper2 in
> order to manage InputStream as source. The class I produced seems
> working but before going on I'd like to know:
> 1)If there is an alternative solution to my problem
> 2)If my solution fits well into  ant architecture
> Thanks in advance,
>     Giovanni

Ant likes to know where build files live, so that it can build relative
file references from them. Why not save the input stream to a temporary
file and run ant without modifying any of it? It's not like you are
going to take any performance hit given that ant parses the entire
document before executing any targets.