ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen McConnell" <mcconn...@dpml.net>
Subject RE: Resource.getURL() - example
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:48:27 GMT

Scott:

The usage of the http protocol handler does not imply a requirement on build
users for an understanding of the java programming language.  It does imply
an understanding that a URL is a well defined string that describes the
location of a resource, and that a protocol (e.g. 'http') defines additional
semantics and runtime behaviour.  However, the support within Ant for any
URL protocol would imply an understanding of the protocol in use by the
build user (which would be a user's choice).  Irrespective of the choice
between a bundled protocol or a dynamically loaded protocol, an
understanding of the Java language is not implied or required.

But I agree with you that new protocol (a.k.a. new ideas) bring new
overheads in understanding.

Cheers, Steve.