ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Building Ant 1.7beta
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 01:31:26 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Sometimes we build new features that are useful enough to apply the
> right away in Ant's own build file.

Obviously. But it seems to me that the convenience of the many users of
Ant (sources) outstrips the convenience of the few Ant developers. For
example, it is impossible to develop the Ant trunk in NetBeans using the
bundled Ant 1.6.5 unless you write a wrapper script which execs
bootstrap.sh, which is unpleasant. Similarly you could not use a bundled
Ant binary on Linux to run ant/build.xml targets (or use Bash
completions...).

To Jan: I meant only keeping compatibility with the previous official
Ant release, in this case 1.6.5.

To Kev: surely most Ant committers work on at least one other Ant-based
project where improvements can be seen? Or does the Apache Foundation
pay your rent? :-)

Just wondering why an Ant release is expected to be used by many
thousands of Java programmers for every purpose you can think of, yet
it's not good enough for Ant itself which is a pretty small project. I
don't feel strongly about it though.

-J.

--
jesse.glick@sun.com  x22801  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org