ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <foamd...@gmail.com>
Subject OT: ApacheCon Asia '06 - reportage
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 02:07:58 GMT
Hi all,

Well I survived the LTTE attacks in Colombo, and I met up with loads
of fascinating people.  For those of you who didn't make the first
Asian edition of ApacheCon, I'm sorry you missed out, it was great fun.

Overall though I have to say that the amount of code produced at the
Hackathon was rather low (mainly because there were very few true
groups of developers from the same projects, BSF and AXIS2 being the
large exceptions).  We are on the cusp of a new version of BSF
(version 3 to be precise), which supports the upcoming JSR regarding
scripting in Java6 (a real achievement by the BSF guys).  I did a
very quick and dirty integration with the Ant trunk code using
sneakernet(tm) to get the latest BSF 'dist', and, apart from some
minor issues, it looks like BSF3 will be released real soon now!

The AXIS2 guys were pretty busy in both the Hackathon and the BOF's,
planning there next attack on SOA in general.

The sessions ranged from introductory (what is foss/apache), to in
depth (here's how to use annotations with AXIS2 to get a pojo web-
servicized). Oh, and I didn't fall off the stage or anything for the
Ant talk that I gave.

Anyway, it was great (thanks Sri Lanka), and I'm already discussing
with my boss if there is a way to get sponsorship from him for
ApacheCon Asia '07 (here in Saigon...) - indeed if anyone knows who I
should get in touch with regarding setting this up, let me know.

Kev
--
"To be governed is to be watched over, inspected, spied on, directed,
legislated..." - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon