ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <>
Subject Re: Use of reflection in DirectoryScanner to remove duplicated code
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:25:23 GMT
Hi Stefan, (and other interested devs)

For additional testing I've created a directory/file structure like

   1 2/
    2 3/
     3 4/

ie a single file under a directory, the tree is 1038+ layers deep and
there is no difference between the original time taken by the
DirectoryScanner code and the modified code - if you want more
testing of this I'm willing to accommodate, but I'm pretty sure that
the Java reflection == slow is not always the case, and certainly
isn't in this case.  I agree we must be careful to prevent new code
from causing the system to 'appear' slow (perceived performance), but
in this instance, I cannot prove that it is faster/slower, any
differences are minor (10s of milliseconds).

As an aside, my little recursive script to generate a mad dir
structure for testing breaks some kind of limit (unix or ruby not
sure) for file names, so any additional testing would require a
different script to generate the directory structure first :)

"In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I
fall out with the Abuse. The Thing! The Thing itself is the Abuse!" -
Edmund Burke

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message