ant-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <p...@hammant.org>
Subject Re: Can DefaultLogger record the time on each target transition?
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:00:10 GMT
Jeffrey,

> In addition to backwards compatibility, there are other issues to
> consider:
>
> 1) Granularity: why limit timing data to targets? why not extend it
> to tasks as well?

Personally, I'm not interested in timing tasks. Perhaps that could be
debated another time.

> 2) Filtering: do you want timing data for every target? every task?

As above. I'm interested for this (closing) discussion to consider
target only, not task. Also, this proposal is asking for the a "time
since start of build" not "total time taken for target, start to
finish".  Specifically, the time when the target starts, not the time
when the target ends.

> and the big one....
>
> 3) Multithreading: as the committers on this list will tell you,
> I'm always thinking about this one. At IBM, we use Ant + in-house
> antlibs to build the WebSphere family of products. We're fortunate
> to have very good hardware in our build lab, and with products as
> large as WebSphere we're keen on making the most efficient use of
> it; one of the ways we do that is to multithread our builds. In our
> initial experiments we wanted to get timing data to compare against
> our single-threaded builds, so we wrote our own custom logger (just
> slight changes to the default logger) to print the timings. When we
> ran the builds, everything went haywire.

I see how multithreading would affect a strategy to collect timings.
Again though I'm asking for something else.

---

I think however I I'll let this drop now. There's enough weight of
opinion against the change for it to obviously futile to carry on. No
consensus is emerging.

Have fun,

- Paul