ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <foamd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ant 1.7 alpha available for testing...
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 02:16:50 GMT

> yes, cfengine and lcfg can keep your stuff in control. There's also
> games you can play with vmware/xen hosted images, where the real
> CPUs just host the virtual machines, and those you replicate off
> managed "gold" images.

It's funny that you mention this, as my current project is working on
bash + perl + python scripts to automate updates to some software
hosted in xen - we have two xen images for each component, when we
get an update, the host shuts down one of the images (let's say guest
'b'), while the other continues and takes over as the master ('a'),
the host (via the scripts) updates the shutdown image, reboots it,
then switches control over to it.  So far it's been fairly simple
(although there's a lot of gpg signatures etc flying about to
validate where the updates come from), the hard bit (swapping images
in/out) is on this weeks task list.

The spec is ok, but some kind of controller + dsl would be nice,
these scripts do feel a little 'hacky' for my liking, although I've
discovered bashunit in the process (yes unit testing bash - I never
thought I'd see that).  The worst part is getting the environment
setup - writing the scripts is fairly simple, but having every little
detail in place before you can test anything is a real pain.

Kev

--
"All governments are in equal measure good and evil.  The best ideal
is anarchy." - Leo Tolstoy