ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 1.7 alpha available for testing...
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:04:44 GMT
jfuller wrote:
> Steve Loughran wrote:

>>> looks good on OSX 10.4.6, will be testing this release on a 'serious'
>>> build server farm over the weekend (rhe4).
>>

>> how many servers constitutes serious?
>
> the system consists of 6 servers, in pairs of 2 (dev/critical
> towers)...allows client (and me) to deploy new build software (like ant)
> easily without taking down critical build servers.
>
> These server pairs each cater to different groups and roles in build
> process which spans the globe;
>
> Development build server pair: Is responsible for catering to a group of
> 40+ developers worldwide, e.g. builds the software and deploys to the
> same box they determine via svn branch/tag
>
> Test/Integration build server pair: Is where we have to test integration
> with some other systems (mainframe db and some websphere specific stuff
> that is too much of a burden on dev build server)..in addition run
> functional and
>
> Deployment build server: selects tagged versions for build, final
> processing with respect to security thingies and handover to deployment
> system...which then deploy to a test farm...which in turn is where the
> app itself is hit at speed and scale.
>
> I doubled up in kit, because we had the resources....and I like to keep
> things simple when working at such scale...cfengine helps out with
> keeping everything in sync.

That sounds like quite a rigorous process.

yes, cfengine and lcfg can keep your stuff in control. There's also
games you can play with vmware/xen hosted images, where the real CPUs
just host the virtual machines, and those you replicate off managed
"gold" images.

There is also
  SmartFrog http://smartfrog.org/
  Puppet   http://reductivelabs.com/projects/puppet/index.html

both of these have a non-XML language to describe system configuration,
and runtimes to bring up distributed apps. I will cover smartfog in the
deployment chapter of Java-Dev-with-Ant (Jim, would you like to review
that chapter?), while puppet is something I know of but havent used
myself. It could be better at low-level linux config, because smartfrog,
being built on java and rmi, needs a lot more of the system working
before it can start configuring across systems.

-steve