ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <>
Subject Re: Delete recursive directories
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 08:50:59 GMT
Kev Jackson wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2006, at 23:21, Steve Loughran wrote:
>> Alexey Solofnenko wrote:
>>> I would like it to be default with <delete>. It is [almost] always
>>> required.
>> It's there to stop you destroying your source.
>> you can go <delete dir="/" /> and although your filesystem is doomed,
>> we will at least preserve your CVS and svn metadata :)
> Like offering a sticking plaster/band aid to a victim of the guillotine...

I remember working on a shared unix cluster where someone as root did an
rm -rf /bin instead of (in a temp dir) rm -rf bin

There was this pause while it took too long, they realised what what
happened and ^C'd it, but by then it was too late. Suddenly all these
people in their cube jump up at the sight of errors like "ls : not
found" and other cues that the FS was toast...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message