ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Abusing the BuildListener
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 16:51:34 GMT
On 7/14/06, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is that going to be impossible for subtags, or do I
> > just need to grok
> > how UnknownElements work etc?
>
> Am I being dense here?  I haven't grasped why you need
> to use UEs instead of using task/type classes
> directly.  The UnknownElement is generally an artifact
> of Ant's XML configuration mechanism and can (should)
> be bypassed in programmatic Ant usage.

Entirely me being dense - this is my first time digging into these parts of Ant.

When I inspect the event in taskStarted, it consists of
UnknownElements, so my first attempt was to duplicate the structure of
one of these to get my <formatter>. I can mimic one happily enough
(for all the getXxx responses), but something's not right in my
mimicry as it falls over.

Just making an "org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.FormatterElement"
and adding that seems good, but looking at the API for UnknownElement,
I don't see a way to add anything to it that isn't another
UnknownElement.

Hen