ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Abusing the BuildListener
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:29:54 GMT

--- Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/14/06, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > --- Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Is that going to be impossible for subtags, or
> do I
> > > just need to grok
> > > how UnknownElements work etc?
> >
> > Am I being dense here?  I haven't grasped why you
> need
> > to use UEs instead of using task/type classes
> > directly.  The UnknownElement is generally an
> artifact
> > of Ant's XML configuration mechanism and can
> (should)
> > be bypassed in programmatic Ant usage.
>
> Entirely me being dense - this is my first time
> digging into these parts of Ant.
>
> When I inspect the event in taskStarted, it consists
> of
> UnknownElements, so my first attempt was to
> duplicate the structure of
> one of these to get my <formatter>. I can mimic one
> happily enough
> (for all the getXxx responses), but something's not
> right in my
> mimicry as it falls over.
>
> Just making an

"org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.FormatterElement"
> and adding that seems good, but looking at the API
> for UnknownElement,
> I don't see a way to add anything to it that isn't
> another
> UnknownElement.

whoo, I'm confused... none of the classes in
oata.taskdefs.optional.junit, including
FormatterElement appears to have any knowledge of
UEs... so it looks at my admittedly casual glance like
you could just programmatically set the properties
(xml attributes) of a FormatterElement in code and add
it to your JUnitTask instance.  Is there a reason
(that my perfunctory analysis didn't find) that this
won't work?

-Matt