ant-dev mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Häfelinger <whaefelin...@epo.org>
Subject Re: using multiple properties in the 'if' and 'unless' conditions
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:18:40 GMT
Just out of curiousity:

What would so bad introducing an "expression language"?

After all, there's no need to express everything in (clumsy) XML just
because
we are able to do so. I believe that an expression language, escpecially
for
testing, would simplify Ant scripting considerably.

Wolfgang.

Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>
23-06-2006 05:54
Please respond to
"Ant Developers List" <dev@ant.apache.org>

dev@ant.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: using multiple properties in the 'if' and 'unless' conditions

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Paul Mackay <Paul.Mackay@nokia.com> wrote:

> Has the possibility of adding multiple conditions to the target 'if'
> and 'unless' attributes ever been considered?

Yes, but it hasn't come up often after Ant 1.4 ;-)

> Are there any reasons why this change would be a bad idea?

One of the reasons (and my main one) is that you'd soon need an
expression language since simple listing two properties isn't enough?
Does if="a,b" mean "either a is set or b" or "a is set and b"?

And then the example above doesn't work since "," is a legal character
inside of property names, as is " " or any other character.  There
could be a property named "a,b".

Stefan