ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <foamd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ant 1.7 release
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 04:54:46 GMT

On 2 Jun 2006, at 11:37, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Kev Jackson <foamdino@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2 Jun 2006, at 11:16, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>
>>>  Object signature alternative.  It is impossible to compile code on
>>>  JDK 1.5 that uses the method and still works on JDK 1.4 - but the
>>>  opposite is also true
>>
>> This leaves us in a pickle unless we can guarantee that the every
>> line of code will both compile and run correctly on all JVMs
>> released since 1.2.  I'm not sure that we can guarantee to this
>> level of surety.
>
> We simply can't.  Leaving the generics/erasure problem aside, there is
> a way to ensure you don't compile against methods that are too new,
> but it is painful: start building with JDK 1.2, compile what hasn't
> been compiled by building with JDK 1.3, repeat with JDK 1.4 and 1.5.

Well that's physically impossible for my main machine as there isn't
a JDK 1.2 for OSX (earliest is 1.3.1 I believe).

> The pragmatic way is to assume that (1) nobody complained that Ant
> 1.6.5 didn't work so JDK 1.4 was fine back then and (2) the unit tests
> cover quite a bit of our code so running the unit test suite with JDK
> 1.2 is supposed to find trouble spots.

So then the 'solution' (for want of a better description) would be
simply to compile with the Java5 jdk, but set the source option as
1.4.  Then run the junit tests on a 1.2 vm?  As I'm assuming that
other people will be testing on various os' and vms, there should be
adequate coverage of the vms (but I'm also guessing that there will
be a tendency for the vms to be skewed towards the newer versions (1.4
+))

Thanks
Kev

--
"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its
best state is but a necessary evil; in it's worst state an