ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: svn commit: r417590 - in /ant/core/trunk: CONTRIBUTORS WHATSNEW src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/ssh/Scp.java
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:20:20 GMT
Jan,

Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
> What is with contributors.xml?
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=115142496218295&w=2

Good question and really the point of the email I sent yesterday. This
is what I can determine

CONTRIBUTORS needs to be binary because it contains non-ASCII character
codes. The problem is that over its history it has been broken many
times due to different people using different character encodings.

AFAICT, the rationale for contributors.xml is that it allows for an
ascii representation of the contributors list, with associated benefits.
Whatever we end up with, there should be one definitive list. I see two
possible courses of action

1. maintain CONTRIBUTORS as binary and remove contributors.xml. We need
to agree and maintain a file encoding - currently UTF-8

2. maintain contributors.xml and remove CONTRIBUTORS. In builds, we
could generate CONTRIBUTORS easily enough (or even an HTML representation)

What do you all think?
Conor