ant-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <foamd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Structure of Ant (OO Design)
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 03:43:43 GMT

On 5 Jun 2006, at 10:07, Hayden Melton wrote:

> Ant-1.6.5 there are 117 .java files involved in a big dependency
> cycle.
> That is the height of the biggest red bar. The yellow bars show the
> distribution of another metric I have devised CRSS which aims to
> quantify how
> "flat" the structure of a system is.

So you analyse each of the source files to determine which other
source files they depend on.  This seems to be a Java-centric
analysis in that it relies on the source files containing a class
each?  Is that correct?  Ie would this be able to analyse source
files that contain many classes (like in other languages which don't
have the general 1 class/source file structure of Java)?

 From you analysis, does the 'flatter' the structure have any
correlation with the complexity of the code, or any other 'quality'
metric?

Sorry to bug you about this, but I'm fairly interested in this (from
a layman's perspective), and I've got a fairly easy day at work so
I'm free to send inquiring emails :)

On the other hand I suppose I should really read your research
properly as you've probably described exactly how and where your
analysis works/fails

Kev

--
"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its
best state is but a necessary evil; in it's worst state an