ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen McConnell \(DPML\)" <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject RE: ComponentHelper replacement
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 01:45:30 GMT

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Steve Loughran [mailto:stevel@apache.org]

<snip/>

Apologies for the delay in responding (have been
swamped with moving house and the cup).

> > I think that part of the problem here is that Ant is
> > bootstrapping itself from nothing and as a
> > consequence we have an overly complex build file that does not
> > generate the information needed for rapid problem
> > identification/resolution by the non-committer community.
>
> that sounds like one of my comments. Programmatic use of ant
> is always secondary. Do we want to change that?
>
> If so, how?
>
> -split out libraries for execution, java exec, other misc
> things -complete programmatic use of ant without problems

I'm thinking along the lines of moving the ant codebase structure to
something that reflects a project codebase per jar file where each
project (a.k.a. ant-sub-project) would have its own build file,
clearly identified dependencies, testcases, and resulting artifacts.

Could this be a feasible post-1.7 objective?

Cheers, Steve.