ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Liz Burke-Scovill" <>
Subject Bringing up an old issue that was never addressed: includeemptydirs on delete
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 17:09:50 GMT
Hi, I'd like to ask the best way to address this issue. It was originally
brought up in bug report 36048, , I'm bring it up
here as opposed to, because I see this more as a further
discussion of a task already in bugzilla  as opposed to a usage question.

The issue is that when includeemptydirs is set to "true" on a delete, it
does not appear to work. The first reply indicates that since the patternset
does not include directories, so the directories should not be deleted. I
disagree as it would seem that that would defeat the purpose of having an
optional flag to include empty directories.

I have also found that includeemptydirs works as indicated when an excludes
attribute or exclude node is used with the fileset. For example:

<delete includeemptydirs="true">
   <fileset dir="foo" excludes="**/*.bar" />

In this example, it deletes all empty directories. Using false does not
delete empty directories, and as such it works as expected. The following

<delete includeemptydirs="true>
   <fileset dir="foo" includes="**/*.bar" />

behaves no differently regardless of whether or not includeemptydirs is set
to true or false. Therefore, either documentation needs to indicate this
behavior, or it should be considered a bug (feature? ;) ) and assigned (I'd
be willing to look at code to work on it).

Additionally, if a delete task with includeemptydirs="true" has both
excludes and includes in its filesets, the behavior displayed is the same as
the second example.

The reason I bring this up here is to further discussion. Is there a reason
that includeemptydirs acts this way with includes? Or is it something that
was overlooked?

Liz Burke-Scovill

Imagination is intelligence having fun...