ant-dev mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Häfelinger <whaefelin...@epo.org>
Subject Re: ComponentHelper replacement
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 13:27:41 GMT
Hey,

>> Ant's purpose is as a build tools, not a Java library.

Perhaps time to change. After all, there must be a reason why
Maven's community is growing :-)

>> <presetdef> is just syntactic sugar, and is better not used
>> IMHO.

I disagree. It's very cool. Almost as cool as "macrodef" which
I really love.

Cheers,
Wolfgang.

"Dominique Devienne" <ddevienne@gmail.com>
23-05-2006 14:53
Please respond to
"Ant Developers List" <dev@ant.apache.org>

"Ant Developers List" <dev@ant.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: ComponentHelper replacement

> Still the overall problem I have with customizing Ant is the over-usage
of
> "private". It also bites at other places,  ComponentHelper is just an
example.

On the contrary, it's a Good Thing (TM)

Ant's purpose is as a build tools, not a Java library. Keeping its
internals private allows future refactoring which do not break BC, or
minimize BC issues. It's a lot easier to open up an API here and
there, when there's a good case for it, rather than leaving everything
"protected" or public.

<presetdef> is just syntactic sugar, and is better not used IMHO. But
if you persist on wanting to overuse it, concentrate your energy on
simply adding an attribute to presetdef to ignore overrides (with all
that entails), and provide a patch.

Or better yet, use a my- prefix for your presets, so as not to confuse
people with tasks that look like plain Ant tasks, but don't behave the
same because their defaults have been changed. This is most likely a
maintenance issue, and a violation of the "principle of least
surprise".

Good luck. I'll get down from my soap box now ;-) --DD