ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <>
Subject Re: <junit> and junit4 (long)
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 20:49:43 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Thu, 25 May 2006, Steve Loughran <> wrote:
>>I guess junit4 is extra motivation for us to stick a beta of that
>>out soon.
> All we need is a release plan to vote on as well as a release manager ;-)
>>We discussed where this task would go (antlib under ant vs. antlib
>>at, and what the stability/redist implications would
>>be. junit uses java which is very backwards compatible, though
>>ant1.7 improves some things. Putting it in with junit4 gives it a
>>tighter coupling to junit.
>>I think the consensus was that the junit CVS repository (on
>>sourceforge) is the place to do this,
> I agree, if only sf's CVS was reliable.

It's been functional for 30+ hours now. When last it went down (monday)
they did put a note in their status log, albeit on tuesday.

my concern is not the availability of CVS, but the quality of the
filesystem. I hope when they rebuilt the disks they moved on from ext2

>>1. Who wants to help work on a new junit task?
> count me in.
>>(2) what should it do?
>>   -Everything in <junit>,
> At least most of it.

what would you drop?

For reference, these are the presets I use for testing. I always give a
default timeout, even if it is hours long, because automated build tools
dont notice hangs and can run for days without giving up

     <presetdef name="junit" uri="${core.uri}">
       <junit printsummary="no"
        <jvmarg value="-ea"/>
        <jvmarg value="-esa"/>
         <!-- #Tests take system property parameters -->
         <!-- #Formatters for capture and display -->
         <formatter type="xml"/>
         <formatter type="brief" usefile="false"/>

     <!-- reporting wrapper -->
     <macrodef name="test-report" uri="${core.uri}">
       <attribute name="data"/>
       <attribute name="reports"/>
       <attribute name="failed"
         <junitreport todir="@{data}">
           <fileset dir="@{data}">
             <include name="TEST-*.xml"/>
           <report format="frames" todir="@{reports}"/>
         <fail if="@{failed}">Unit tests failed see @{reports}</fail>

>>3. enhancements to junit
>>    -a method "isFailure" on the assertion failure classes, for
>>    checking (through reflection in ant) for failures vs errors.
> Yes, that would be handy.  But they shouldn't have dropped the
> difference between errors and failures in the first place.

well, you can add that to the wish list.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message