ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ComponentHelper replacement
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 15:34:25 GMT
Wolfgang Ha"felinger wrote:
> Hey,
>
>>> Ant's purpose is as a build tools, not a Java library.
>
> Perhaps time to change. After all, there must be a reason why
> Maven's community is growing :-)

Ahh, we arent going to go there.

>>> <presetdef> is just syntactic sugar, and is better not used
>>> IMHO.
>
> I disagree. It's very cool. Almost as cool as "macrodef" which
> I really love.

They are good, but work best if you put stuff into new namespaces as
otherwise you are redefining default things. Just like in C++, this can
get you into trouble. Just like in C++, they do give you near unlimited
power.

Regarding private vs public, private stuff is primarily there to let the
team changing things without fear of breaking stuff. There is a general
assumption that public method calls should stay around, purely for
people using Ant programmatically.

If you can make a good case for something becoming public, it will get
changed, or the underlying cause of your problems may get fixed in some
other way.

-steve